3.30.2011

The Flying Biscuit - Organic Oatmeal Pancakes


It had been awhile since I last visited the Flying Biscuit.  Then one day I started craving their organic oatmeal pancakes.  I remembered that I have their cookbook and could just make them.  The recipe looks easy enough but I decided I wanted to be served.  I prefer the Candler Park location in Atlanta.  I like the neighborhood location and know where to find parking.  For example, I either park on McClendon Ave or Clifton Rd.  In addition, there is a plaza directly across from the front entrance of the restaurant (on McClendon Ave).  Free parking is available behind the plaza. 

There are several Flying Biscuit restaurants in the ATL.  I think I prefer this one because it is the original.  It opened in 1993.  In 2007, it became a franchise and opened a second restaurant in the ATL.  http://www.bison.com/press_TheFlyingBiscuit_05042007  I, like many, rolled my eyes assuming that the quality and the uniqueness of the restaurant would diminish.  Let's just say that could be true.  I mostly go to the Candler Park location and the food is consistently good.  The only other location that I've been to is the one in midtown.  I remember the food being good.  However, I find parking in this area to be annoying.  If I remember correctly, the restaurant provides parking for customers but I remember their lot being full on a number of occassions and having to park elsewhere.  It is just down the street from Piedmont Park so it would be great to eat at the restaurant and walk down to the park.  For some reason, the Midtown (Piedmont Ave) location seemes more cramped than the Candler Park location.  If you go on a Saturday, my recommendation is to get there before 9 am.  As a general rule of thumb, it seems that by 10 am, most good breakfast restaurants in the ATL are crowded and you will be placed on a waiting list.

The Flying Biscuit also sells a cookbook which I purchased a long time ago.  I was happy to find the recipe for the Organic Oatmeal Pancakes inside.  In the restaurant, it is served with a peach compote.  These pancakes are delicious.  They are also very dense and heavy.  Flying Biscuit serves more than breakfast.  I've been going to this restaurant for many, many years but I've only had breakfast which is served all day.  (http://www.flyingbiscuit.com/)

Hearty Organic Oatmeal Pancakes
2 cups organic rolled oats (regular and not the quick oats)
2 cups nonfat buttermilk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup all-pupose flower
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of salt
Canola oil for griddle

Combine oats and butttermilk in a large bowl.  Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.  Add in eggs and melted butter to oat mixture and stir.  Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.  Add to oat mixture and mix together.  Preheat griddle over medium-low heat and coat with canola oil.  Ladle batter in 1/4 cup measurements onto griddle.  When bubbles appear, flip pancakes and cook until golden brown - about 5 minutes per side.  Serve hot with maple syrup.  Makes about 20 pancakes.

***I have not made these pancakes before but may try to make them some day***

No comments:

Post a Comment