3.13.2011

Iron Chef America...My New Addiction

http://eater.com/archives/2011/03/07/emma-hearst-vs-michael-symon-iron-chef-battle-mozzarella.php

I just discovered Iron Chef America.  It has been on for at least four years.  I was aware of it but didn't feel compelled to watch.  I think the intro or previews to the show always seemed a little cheesy to me.  Then, on one fateful day, I must have left the tv on after a show I had been watching.  I had left the room and when I came back, it was in full swing.  I was immediately hooked. 

I think the first episode that I watched was about tuna.  Each chef had a huge tuna fish which required two grown men to carry over to their station.  It must have been almost as long and as heavy as either one of them.  I was fascinated watching them carve the tuna and the discussion about what can be rendered from the various parts of the fish.  And this is exactly why this show is my new addiction and why it works:
  • The secret ingredient.   In the link I've attached, the secret ingredient was mozzarella and everybody probably thinks that they know a lot about mozzarella because of the cheese that is often used in pizza or lasagna.  However, it was interesting learning how the cheese was made which Chef Michael Symon demonstrated so well.  There are many uses of mozzarella and its bi-products.  The show is like taking a course in Food 101. 
  • I love watching celebrity chefs sweat.  Let's face it, most of the cooking shows on tv are organized productions where the kitchens in which they work are spotless and the chefs are equally spotless.  You know that they are supported by a googob of sous chefs, make up artists, stylists and someone asking for more lighting on the eggplants because they look a little too dark.  These chefs are really sweating and I like it when they get flustered.  They really care about the food and the finished product.  In other words, passion towards anything is always compelling to watch. 
  • Creativity.  It is amazing to see what the chefs come up with starting with basic ingredients.  I appreciate the process of watching each course come together.  I often wonder about the texture and aroma of each dish so I enjoy the judges and their feedback.  On one episode, Mo Rocca was one of the judges and he was funny and had his own spin on the food. 

I realize that I'm late to the party on this one since it has been on for awhile.  But if you haven't checked it out yet, you should.  And yes, I still find some parts of it cheesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment