3.18.2011

A B-lated St. Patty's Day....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKnqlw3AeY0&playnext=1&list=PL5B7563BA53E601B5

I had all of these fabulous ideas of what I wanted to do for St. Patrick's Day.  I wanted to cook a traditional Irish breakfast.  I wanted to try something new and I thought the research would be interesting.  That didn't happen because that requires planning and time got away from me this week.  I wasn't ready to throw in the towel just yet so yesterday I stopped by the Super Walmart for a few items and then bought some corned beef hash in a can and thought I could do an interesting spin on it.  But that was last night and that still requires some creativity, time and a whole lot of other stuff.   It just wasn't happening for me and some weeks are like that and I've learned not to force things.  But now, I have an opportunity largely due to my insomnia which has been actin up this week. :)  That alone, is worthy of a blog or two.   I realized I could still post something although St. Patty's day has ended for me but not yet for everyone in the world!  I found a You Tube video of Anthony Bourdain having breakfast in Ireland.  It was a very fatty, fried and funny breakfast served with Guinness.  Only Tony...

While I gathered my thoughts for this post, I chatted on facebook with my young friend Moriah.  Friend doesn't really describe my relationship with her and her family.  I've known her and her sibblings since they were babies and now they are all in college except for the youngest who is 15.   I lived with them for about a year when I was twenty something.  I'm probably more like a relative.  During this particular IM chat she called me Momma Karen.  We chatted about a variety of things, mostly things of concern to a college freshmen.  It is wonderful to see her grow into a brilliant beautiful young woman. 

One time, when Moriah was very young, I told her to stop doing something she ought not to be doing.  She silently walked away from me, looked over her shoulder and then swung at the air and said Humph!  She reminded me of a little old lady.   All she needed was a purse in her hand to swing at somebody...me.   I just said to her in a very low tone, staring her down and shaking my head back and forth, Moriah, that's not nice... don't do that.  She leaned against the sofa (with a gangsta lean) and stared me down.  I met her gaze with the same intensity until she decided to move on to something else or just got tired of looking at me.  Did I mention that she had only been on this earth for about two years?   That just told me that she would be who she is today...intelligent, vibrant and determined. 

On Moriah's facebook page today she wrote "I wonder if black people can be Irish..lol"  There were a string of comments that followed, mostly from black people, and they were harmlessly amusing saying I'm Irish today or accusing some of being Irish because of the hue of their light brown skin and having red hair.  Of course, others proudly claimed their Irish heritage. 

So Happy B-lated St. Patrick's Day to the Irish, those who are not and the undecided. 

This post is also a tribute to Moriah and her sibblings (David, Melanie and Joseph) because I love them and thought of them today.

No comments:

Post a Comment