3.24.2011

Stone Mountain Park

Almost a week ago, I visited Stone Mountain Park.  I've been to this park too many times to count. Each time I experience something new, either because of the activity, season of the year, or the person with me.  Even when walking alone, I see something new.  This time I went with my neighbor Cedric.  I've come to know him from our chats from our respective driveways.  He was a great walking companion and I had a hard time keeping up with him. While walking, I saw this beautiful dogwood tree.

I have a variety of photos from my visits to Stone Mountain Park.  I love this Fall photo as it reminds me of the northeast.  The northeast has the most vibrant Fall season in the country.  Atlanta might just have the most beautiful Spring.


Another photo which is more consistent with the muted colors that you tend to see down here in Georgia during the Fall.  Still, beautiful in its own way. 

Stone Mountain is the largest piece of exposed granite in the world. 

I remember this day very clearly.  It was unseasonably cold and rainy and I was there with my primary walking buddy Arlene.  Our walks are great.  We talk about everything while we move around the mountain which is 5 miles.  On this particular day, we kept saying that the weather would clear up but it never did.  Every now and then the sun would break through but then it would start raining.   Ignorance isn't always bliss. I also brought along You Know Who (AKA Brandi), my canine companion.   

A view of the mountain from the dashboard of my car.  That was when I used to have an annual parking pass which is now $35 for the year.  A one day parking pass is $10 so it is beneficial to buy the annual pass if you plan to come often.  Now, I park outside of the mountain at one of the free parking lots as part of the PATH Foundation biking and walking trails.  The trail leads right into the park.
 
Last December, Arlene and I walked around the park looking at all of the holiday decorations.  She took this picture and thought I should send it to someone I was dating.  She said it was a cute hint for a date idea but I was getting tired of his shenanigans. 

Another photo of the dogwood tree.  You can see walkers to the left of the tree. 



A view from behind as I leave the park.  Visit http://pathfoundation.org/ to learn about the 160 miles of trails that the Path Foundation has successfully developed throughout Georgia in the last twenty years.   

The view in front of me.  Visit  http://www.stonemountainpark.com/ to learn more about the park. 




2 comments:

  1. It has been many years since I have been to Stone Mountain. Don't remembe it being that pretty. Guess it is in the eyes of the beholder. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, thanks for stopping by. Since moving closer to Stone Mtn about 5 years ago, I tend to go several times during the year to walk around the mountain. I think it is much more enjoyable that way. Most of the attractions I have not gone to...not even the laser show. :) Karen

    ReplyDelete