5.03.2011

Some Things Never Die


Devin Zimmerman
Guest Blogger

Growing up, we were NASCAR fans. Diehard NASCAR friends. My dad had a network of 30 or so friends from across the Southeast who would all meet up and go to the races together. It was more like a family reunion every Spring and Fall when the loud group of rascals would roll into Douglasville with their pickup trucks, motorcycles and minivans. 

Living in Atlanta, the Zimmermans always had the privilege of hosting all the rowdy friends the night before the races at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The house would be packed and the garage would be rockin' when country came to town in anticipation of the 500 miles of asphalt-grinding excitement that would come the next day. Aviators were out in full swing and everyone wore the logos and sponsors of their favorite NASCAR drivers on those great Sunday mornings. 

My step mom and I always donned the task of preparing breakfast for our friends. Being a personal chef, my step mom was always the master of preparing in advance, thus breakfast was always on par for the hungry NASCAR fans and most of the time, some, if not all, was prepared the night before. My favorite (and the simplest) recipe is Stuffed French Toast.

When I moved to school and became a University of Georgia bulldog, I took on the same task - breakfast before home games. Every Saturday morning before we all made the 2-mile trek to Sanford Stadium to cheer on our dawgs, breakfast was at Devin's! All the neighbors, friends and family in town would come over to apartment 304 for morning mimosas (or Bud Light, if you're really classy) and the freshest prepared breakfast. The biggest hit of my college career and the football season of 2009 - Stuffed French Toast. 

So as the tradition continues, the recipe lives on. And while I mourn the death of my father, it brings great joy to me that I can give to my best friends what was given to his before the races. It's the simple things that we must all appreciate - like family recipes and loved ones.  Recently, I shared the recipe with my office. Some things never die. 

I hope you enjoy this simple recipe for your next big breakfast. In the words of the great Darryl Waltrip and as my Daddy and all his friends would say before each race - BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY BOYS! Let's Go Racing!

Stuffed French Toast
1 loaf of homestyle white bread, unsliced
3 fresh peaches
2 packages cream cheese
2 cups milk
6 eggs

cinnamon
confectioners sugar
maple syrup
vanilla

Slice bread into 2-inch slices. Cut a small pocket into each piece. Soften cream cheese in microwave and add 1/2 cup confectioners sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Stuff cream cheese mixture into the pocket-incisions in the bread. Be generous! Insert 1-2 slices of peaches into each piece of bread. Lay all pieces into a greased 9 x 13'' baking dish. Speckle tops with cinnamon and a coating of confectioners sugar. Mix eggs and milk in a bowl and pour generously over bread in baking dish. Cover and cool in refrigerator overnight.

In the morning, bake your Stuffed French Toast on 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Egg mixture will be fully cooked when ready. Sprinkle another coat of confectioners sugar and serve with your favorite maple syrup!  Enjoy!
 

Devin Z, as I call her, is a colleague and friend.  She easily falls into the category of real cool chick.  The two pans of stuffed french toast that she brought into the office were simply divine!   You can follow Devin Z on twitter @DevinZ - Karen


1 comment:

  1. mmmmm. Haven't made stuffed french toast in ages! I guess I know what's for breakfast Saturday morning. And oh yeah, GOOOOOOOOOOO DAWGS! Sic 'em!

    ReplyDelete