5.26.2011

Fiber One Pancakes...Oh yeah!



When it comes to pancakes, sometimes I'll make them from scratch and other times from a mix.  Just add water and they are ready within minutes.  Voila!    In general, a boxed mix tastes like a boxed mix.   Whether it's pancakes, muffins, brownies, cornbread or cake - this isn't grandma's home cookin'.   That isn't necessarily a bad thing.  What a boxed mix says to me is please feel free to make me better.  There are a million ways to doctor up or enhance a recipe.  This time, I just added blueberries to the pancake mix.

In all of my years of living,  I do declare that Fiber One is now my favorite pancake mix.  The pancakes are light and delicious.  They didn't taste artificial nor did they taste too organic.  When I made the oatmeal, wheat and banana pancakes, I enjoyed them, but I knew that I was eating something very healthy and organic tasting.    I prefer to eat healthy and not be reminded of it.  I don't think that the taste has to closely resemble the healthy and basic ingredients.   I found a blogger that reviewed these pancakes back in 2008 and there were a lot of positive comments that followed, one as recent as January. 
I cut them up so you could see the blueberries inside...oh yeah.....
Here are a few thoughts on nutrition labels.   I have a tendency to focus on the top half of the label, especially the serving size.  People keep saying size matters...heh, heh, hehhhh.  But seriously, we should be aware of how much we are consuming.  The amount of fat and calories per serving size should be taken into consideration.  For example, if you prepare 3 Fiber One pancakes using 1/2 cup of mix, you will consume 3.5 grams of fat which is only 5% of what you should have per day.  This is based on a 2,000 calorie/day diet.  This is just for the cooked pancakes and does not take into consideration the oil you will cook it in or toppings (e.g. syrup).  I also pay close attention to fiber, sodium, protein and sugars.
 

The bottom half of the label is also important.  I tend not to read this portion as much.  However, it lists the nutrients and the percentage found in a serving size.  I tend not to keep up with my intake of important nutrients and apparently I should.  Upon a recent visit to my doctor, I was told that I was low in Vitamin D.  In her eastern European accent she said Vitamin D...everybody low.  I run your test and you will see.  I know.  Everybody low.  She was right, I was low.

The footnote tells you that the Percent Daily Values is based on a 2,000 calorie diet.  In other words, you may need to adjust these appropriately based on how many calories you need to consume.  The FDA has great information about nutrition facts label here.  

Standing around in the grocery store may seem kind of lame.  I used to think these people were quite odd. But back then, I was a good 30+ pounds heavier...maybe more. Now, I too stand in the aisles of the grocery store reading nutrition labels.  I also look at how much more this healthier option is going to cost me because there is a limit to what I'm willing to pay.


2 comments:

  1. I've been trying to get fit. I find that my worst habit, which has been contributing to lack of results in weight loss, is that I don't eat breakfast! I've been trying to get more creative with breakfast rather than just having cereal or oatmeal and I LOVE Fiber One products! I'm really gonna have to try this pancake mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also cook some of these up during the weekends and then freeze them (per serving size). I tend to do a lot of meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking during the weekend. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete