5.07.2011

Exhaling in Memphis

  
A view of the hotel from the park

So I needed to get away. In my getting away I found myself in Memphis, Tennessee.  There are quite a few details and nuances about why I needed to get away and how I selected Memphis.  Blah, blah, blah....  That's a story for another time and another day.   Frankly, I find it boring, you know, those things we generally complain and ponder about.  What matters is that this is what I needed.  In fact, I will do this more often.  
 
A beautiful live plant arrangement
I thought I would blog about my solo visit to Memphis because I think a lot of people are afraid to do unfamiliar things, especially solo. I use the term solo instead of alone. Often when people use the term alone, there is the connotation of sadness, pity or despair. Solo has more to do with a decision or choice...therefore coming from a place of empowerment.


Me and the plant
I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott at Jefferson and Main Street. This hotel was really nice. The interior design was modern and welcoming.  The color schemes belonged to the brown, organge and gold family.   In the lobby, there was a really nice scent which I associated with a spa moreso than a hotel.   And scents matter.   There were beautiful plant arrangements throughout the hotel. 

 
My room was really nice.  The bed was super comfy...
Another view of my room from my bed...

Once settled, I went searching for food.  It was early evening - cool and breezy.  I decided I needed to walk.  Walking is a great way to unwind and force your body and mind into relaxation.  It was about two miles to and from Beale Street.  Along the way, I stopped by Walgreens and picked up a candle, postcards and snacks.  Once I got to Beale Street, I discovered, rather suddenly, that I was exhausted.   Then there was all of this loud music blaring from the various clubs, bars and restaurants.   I scurried away in the direction of my hotel.   There, I had a delicious dinner of burger and fries.   


I decided not to have a planned schedule for this getaway.   I had a general idea of things I wanted to do.   However, the overarching goal of this getaway was to relax, write and experience something new.   So, I moved about intuitively.  
 

I lit my candle and took a  hot shower.  I put on my favorite PJs. I sat in my bed with my herbal tea.  Then, I exhaled.   

4 comments:

  1. I love it Karen! I wish that I could get away more often...still trying to get back to Atlanta and rediscover the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie, it can be a challenge to get away but sometimes you just gotta do it. You won't regret it. I hope you are living life like it is golden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen. My girlfriends and I took a trip to Memphis a few months ago. It was my first visit there as well. We had a great time. Our hotel was also across the street from this same park!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terri,
    That is wonderful. I definitely would like to go back again with more of a focus on the food but I think I will need to rent a car to get to these places.

    ReplyDelete