5.10.2011

Blue Plate Cafe in Memphis


The Blue Plate Cafe was in close proximity to my hotel (Courtyard Marriott).  What I liked about this restaurant had more to do with the ambience than the food.  It was bright and open with local artwork on the yellow walls.  A lot of the paintings were of animals.  It looked like a renovated two story home where the ceiling between the first and second floor had been removed.  Near the front entrance on the left, was a dramatic wooden staircase leading to the second floor. 
The Blue Plate Cafe

I thought the menu was pretty cool.   At first, I wondered why the waitress gave me this community paper  to read instead of a menu.  The front page included the history of the restaurant and a list of rules to follow to have a good life.   


This was a pretty huge menu similar to most diners in Anywhere, USA.  I was worried that I would spill my coffee thereby destroying the thin menu.  The week before, while at work, I was enjoying a wonderful cup of herbal tea.  As I reached around the cup to adjust my laptop,  I knocked the entire cup of tea into my lap.   Legitimate fears. 

While enjoying my breakfast, I received a text from DevinZ.

DZ: Where ya headed this morning?

KT:  Eating at the Blue Plate Cafe now and then to the National Civil Rights Museum.

 
KT: Pancakes...good!

KT:  Creamed spinach omelet...eeewwwwwwww...I sent that shit right back

DZ:  Naaaasty!!!

KT:  Bacon and cheddar omelet...much better!

DZ:  Why were you ordering a creamed spinach omelet?  What were you thinking?

KT:  Yeah...I got what I deserved.  Just to try it.  I didn't think they would use the same creamed spinach they serve in prison.

DZ:  Hahajahaaaa

Overall, the food tasted pretty good.  The staff was super nice and accommodating.  My waitress was genuinely sorry that I did not like the creamed spinach omelet.   She immediately offered something else and checked back with me later.  She even gave me a cup of coffee to go.  If you are staying in the area I would definitely recommend it. 

2 comments:

  1. ""Creamed spinach omelet...eeewwwwwwww...I sent that shit right back"

    ROTFLMAO! :-D

    Just one question though. How did the pancakes compare to those at Ria's Bluebird? I tried those at your suggestion and was blown away even though I'm not a huge pancake fan...more of a waffles kinda guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! You can't compare them. The pancakes here tasted like the pancakes you could get at most diners anywhere. They were good diner pancakes which means they were ok. Ria's pancakes...in the "words" of Little Richard were A WHOP BOP A LU A WHOP BAM BOO!

    ReplyDelete