11.05.2011

Pastries A Go Go


I've been going to Pastries a Go Go for years.  It is located in the City of Decatur, AKA Downtown Decatur and the seat of DeKalb County Government.   I worked for DeKalb County for many years and I would walk a few blocks over to the restaurant which is located in Commerce Square at the corner of Commerce Drive and West Ponce de Leon Avenue.   

Every meal I've had at Pastries has been very good.  Recently, I was there with my friend Thayra (sounds like Tyra) and we were talking about how long we've been coming to this restaurant.  We've watched Bob, the owner, physically change over the years - not in a bad way but just in the same way that we all do.  When we first started going there we would see his wife and baby from time to time.  She was just a toddler then but now has to be in the second or third grade. 

Over the years, I've had breakfast and lunch at Pastries with friends, co-workers and book club buddies.  There was even a time when I was a part of a small group of four women who were meeting monthly to encourage each other to live intentionally.  That didn't last long.  How many groups and clubs can one intentionally be a part of anyway? 

When I was at the County, I would meet colleagues at Pastries for lunch and we would talk about work.  Some topics would require that we first look all around the restaurant for familiar faces.  No matter what we saw, we would still hunch over our food, and talk in code or in  hushed voices.  When another person from the County would enter the restaurant we would either wave exhuberantly or try to hide behind our menus.  Oh...hey!  I didn't see you!  How are things going?  Ok...ok...oh wow...interesting.  Well...see you around!   These were good times. 

Thayra had the Eggs Benedict with the hollandaise on the side.  She said that the hollandaise was amazing.  She had a cup of fruit as her side.  This cup of fruit is worth mentioning.  In the 7 years that I've gone to this restaurant, every piece of fruit in the cup has been ripe.  I don't know how Pastries accomplishes this feat year round.  They make a low fat Honey Yogurt Poppy Seed dressing in-house that I order with the fruit.  I became aware of this salad dressing from ordering the Chicken Salad for lunch which comes with fresh fruit, fresh baked lavosh and poppy seed dressing.  The Chicken Salad is another winner.

I almost always get the same thing for breakfast.  In the past, I've ordered the Traditional Southern Breakfast and I've had the pancakes.  The traditional breakfast is like something you would get from a diner but tastes much better.  In fact, the Decatur Diner is just down the street and it doesn't compare to Pastries.   I only had the pancakes once and they were just ok to me.  It was so long ago that it wouldn't be fair for me to judge them.  On this day, and for the last few years, I ordered a turkey sausage biscuit and a side of fruit.  Pastries makes their own pork and turkey sausage.  The biscuits are also made in-house.  I have the utmost respect for a small restaurant owner who makes their own sausage and biscuits.
This time, I inquired about the delicious strawberry preserves.  For years, me and mi amigas would rave about the strawberry preserves.  The preserves weren't consistently on the table so we thought they had run out and needed to make more.  We had created a pretty lavish story about these preserves.  We always assumed they were made in-house but the waitress clarified upon questioning, Nope, it's Smuckers.

This is how we leave our plates.


Pastries has free parking.  It is located in Commerce Square with a few other businesses, restaurants and a CVS/Pharmacy.  I always joke with Thayra about her CVS addiction.   During the weekday, there used to be a security guard hovering over the parking.  In other words, don't park your car in this plaza and then walk across the street to Ted's or Taco Mac.  Security will appear.  I'm not sure if they will actually tow your car but I wouldn't chance it. 

Pastries has an outdoor seating area which seems nice enough.  I like eating outdoors but I've never felt compelled to sit outside.  On nice days, I see quite a few people eating outside.

This place isn't called Pastries A Go Go for nothing.  When you walk into the restaurant, the first thing on display is an assortment of pastries.  Bob is an Executive Pastry Chef. Although not on the menu, Thayra has ordered birthday cakes from Pastries.  I'm sure that all of the minicakes on the menu could be made into a large cake upon request.  For her son's, AKA my godchild, last birthday party, Thayra ordered red velvet cupcakes.  Those were the best red velvet cupcakes I've tasted.    She said that they were more reasonably priced than the other bakery shops in the area. 


After our delicious meal, we walked across the street to where Pastries used to be located about 7 years ago.  We couldn't remember if it was the 2cnd or the 3rd store from the intersection of  West Ponce de Leon and Ponce de Leon Place.  We noticed that the current business owner had not been successful in  covering up the Pastries sign as it was still visible on the black awning. 


Pastries a Go Go is a must must.  The service is very good although the wait staff gets a little busy at times.  We arrived at 9:30 am on a Saturday morning and there was a 15 minute wait.  The City of Decatur is very walkable so after a good meal you can enjoy a nice walk around the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment