11.23.2011

Blue Eyed Daisy Bakeshop

I was in Serenbe with my friend Teresa for a 5K trail race.  After the race, the sponsors offered up burritos and beer.  Neither of these were appealing, so we walked to the Blue Eyed Daisy Bakeshop for breakfast.  We both ordered a traditional breakfast of eggs, sausage, scrambled eggs and biscuits.


I really liked the stone ground grits supplied to the restaurant from Jenny Jack Sun Farm.  I wasn't sure that I would like these grits as they looked too granular or lumpy.  However, I found them to be delicious.  They had texture but were also creamy.   I would like to try to make these grits.  I'm not sure how widely available these grits are so I'll probably get some on my next visit to Serenbe.   I found a recipe online for these grits on a wonderful blog post with an even more wonderful photo of the grits.  The recipe looks promising as it includes milk and the grits cook for at least 45 minutes.


The orange juice was fresh-squeezed and delicious.  I hadn't had fresh-squeezed OJ in a long time.  The sausage was very tasty and I wondered if it was supplied from one of the local farms.  This was something I forgot to confirm.  The other elements of the meal, the biscuit and eggs, were fair to midland.   We also had coffee which was good.


At the counter Teresa noticed a jar of blueberry preserves.  Teresa held up the jar and we marveled at the beauty of the preserves.  Then, she turned it over and we both saw the price tag of $12.  In a knee-jerk reaction, and with great indignance, I proclaimed "Teresa, we can make our own blueberry preserves!"  She, being more polite than me, pleasantly smiled and gently placed the preserves back on the counter. 


Overall, the service was pretty good considering that 1200 runners had decended upon the community that morning.  The restaurant was packed with people who probably weren't interested in beer or burritos before noon.  Our food was brought out pretty quickly.  The few staff that were working were pleasant and responsive. 

The Serenbe community is located 32 miles south of Atlanta.   If you happen to be visiting and want a decent breakfast, I would suggest The Blue Eyed Daisy.  The Blue Eyed Daisy's website doesn't offer much information and it appears that a new website is on the way.   I like their facebook page much better.    There are a lot of photos of cakes, pies and cookies that look scrumptious. 

4 comments:

  1. The food looks great. I am currently living in the Great Northwest. I missed the southern grits and eggs. There is a difference between the "northern" and "southern" cooking. BTW, nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and reading. At this very moment I'm in the great northwest and check out a few places off the beaten path. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such a great review Karen. We are happy you enjoyed your visit to the Blue Eyed Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Candi,
    Glad you had a chance to read my review. I'll definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete