10.16.2011

Walking

Walking is something that most people can do. There isn’t anything intimidating about it and you don’t have to worry about how you look, your form, or hurting yourself. All you have to do is put one foot in front of the other. It fits all shapes and sizes. Walking doesn’t require an investment in shoes, clothing or equipment. It’s always age appropriate. I have a friend that is sixty-something. Last time we met, she was telling me how much she used to run. For many years she used to run. Then she added a little walking. Now she just walks. She enjoys it so much more and it isn’t as hard on her body.

Walking is restorative. Several years ago one of my first cousins suddenly died. It was so devastating. My brother questioned how someone so vibrant and full of life could just die. He wasn’t even 40 years old. During this time, his mother told me that her doctor prescribed long walks to help her to get through the grieving process. So she walked and walked and walked some more, trying to makes sense of it all.

Walking is something that I love. I walk with friends and I walk alone. I mostly walk for enjoyment. At the same time, I find it very helpful when I’m troubled, stressed or simply perplexed. Most times when I walk, I don’t listen to anything. I love music but sometimes it’s just another distraction preventing me from being fully present. I like for my senses to be stimulated -the smell of mulch and the sound of rustling leaves and barking dogs. I see things that I tend not to notice. I know I need walking in my life because as my mother says to me, you need to rest your mind.

This morning, I grabbed good ole Brandi and we went for a walk. It was about 8:30 and a cool 50 degrees when we started out. I had a few things on my mind. There were things I could do something about and other things I couldn’t do a damn thing about. I didn’t know I would end up walking for two hours. I had forgotten about the time. I just walked and walked and walked. When I left, there was the sun, on my face like God’s love, causing me to lift up my head. When I returned, there was the same sun, on my back like grace and mercy, following me, reassuring me. I knew they would be there. All I have to do is to just keep walking.

   
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment