11.19.2011

Thai Soup

Just recently, I was shopping in Publix where shopping truly is a pleasure.  I was perusing the soup isle and comparing the price of chicken broth.  I like to keep chicken and beef broth in my pantry as I tend to make soup and stews year round.  I was pleased to discover a variety of broths beyond the expected vegetable, chicken or beef broth.  When I saw a Thai coconut curry broth; I had to get it.  I love Thai food.

Although I wasn't sure of what to do with the broth, I knew I would come up with something tasty.  I noticed a recipe on the side of the box for Thai Vegetable Noodle Soup.  I decided to try it with a few alterations.  On this particular day, I really wasn't in the mood for noodles.  So, I eliminated them.  I added mushrooms and chicken.  On the same day, I boiled some chicken breasts (with bone in and skin on) to make chicken salad. 

This recipe called for a cup of light coconut milk.  I used the entire can,  It was highly unlikely that I would use up the rest of the coconut milk anytime soon.   I didn't want to waste it. 


Voilà!  A delicious bowl of soup.  I would make this soup again and again.  A heartier version of this soup could be made with the addition of noodles or even dumplings. 


Thai Chicken and Vegetable Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup of broccoli florets
2 carrots diced
1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
2 tsp of fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp of curry powder or more
½ tsp of red pepper flakes
2 tbs of olive oil
1 carton of Thai coconut broth
Juice of half of a lime
1 can of light coconut milk 13.5 ounce
1 cooked chicken breast, diced

Cook vegetables and spices in olive oil for 5 minutes to soften. Add broth and lime juice. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Stir in coconut milk. Garnish with cilantro or green onions. The prep time for this meal is about 20 minutes and it will be ready within 10 minutes.  It serves 4-6 people.



2 comments:

  1. I've used this broth too, but my store stopped carrying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmnnn....I hate when that happens. I guess you could see if you can find it via the internet but that is rather annoying. Karen

    ReplyDelete