6.29.2011

5K...Doin Life!


Photo courtesy of Teresa

The run was great.  Not because it happened exactly how I imagined it.  At times it was hard.  Heat, hills and humidity. Ok, so the one hill was a slight and gradual incline. But, it was on the side of Centennial Park that had no tree covering so it was full on sun.  And, our 5K in Atlanta was running around the perimeter of the park 5 times.  Therefore, a few times I walked a little when I felt very nauseated and a little dizzy.  I think we would all agree that this is when one should walk.   I know...poor me.   

The race was also fun, joyful and worthwhile.  I was running as part of the Ben Does Life unofficial 5K running tour.  There are a lot of people participating in the tour who have made substantial lifestyle changes to improve their lives.   I'm sure running is just one part of their story.    I was supported by my friend Teresa who ran with me and that was cool.  And being around all of that good will and optimism is pretty amazing.   Fox 5 Atlanta was there and did a really nice feel good story

Teresa and Karen (Photo courtesy of Do Life)

Last year, I hadn't seriously thought about running a 5K.  Me?  In Atlanta's heat?  As my father would say, Shhhhhh-i-i-i-i-i-t!  But I did and here's how it happened. 

First, I made a decision.  That was half the battle.  Then, a few times a week, I would get out of my bed around 6 a.m.  By 6:30, I would be out the door and on my way.   Once, I tried to run after work and that was a most horrible decision.  It was about 7 or 8 pm and it was still too hot and humid.  I don't do hot and I don't do humid.  This decision meant that I was going to have to make some changes.  I did.  It also meant that I would have to keep deciding again and again and again.  I did that too. 

The day before I was always excited about running.  It is exhilarating to think about reaching a new goal and and all of the glory I've attached to it.   That's the easy part.   I have the capacity to live a very glamorous and successful life entirely in my head.  But the morning came as it always does.  Most of the time I got out of bed on autopilot.  My eyes, glazed over like a zombie.   My body, moved like the tin man.  My mood...relatively foul.  But somehow I found myself outside with dog in tow.  Even as I started my run I would be yawning like the day was coming to an end.  I kept moving. 

Teresa, Ben and Karen

After each run, I felt completely different than when I started.  Yes, I was sweating like a pig and my body was taxed.   Yet, my mood was lifted and I felt optimistic about the world and me in it.  I felt proud.   Did I just do that?  Well, what else can I do? 

Then, one day, I found myself able to run 4 miles.  My pace is still quite slow but that's ok.  I'm not making this up or exaggerating a little.  I pretty much finished the 5K close to last.  But that was good for me and where I was on that day.  I was running my race - embracing my path, my process and my progress. 

Decide and do.  Again and again and again.


You can follow the tour either on facebook or via Ben's blog
Atlanta - Doin Life! (Photo courtesy of Do Life)






2 comments:

  1. Congrats!! Your accomplishment is far from small.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete