6.18.2011

5K, Just a Week Away!

I am a week away from my first 5K.   I am participating in the Ben Does Life Running tour.  I'm excited about the run except for the starting time of 10 am.  Ben doesn't know...he just don't know.  He don't know that it is too doggone hot to start running at 10 am in the ATL.  But this is Ben's first 5K running tour so it is ok if everything isn't perfection.  I am going to support the tour because the premise of Ben Does life is that if you hate your life...do something about it. 

I thought I would share a few journal entries about my running struggles and triumphs.  I capture just about everything in my journal.    I have one other blog about this personal goal.   

November 18, 2010
Yesterday was weird for me.  I felt completely insane at times.  Irritated, anxious, mad, etc.  Probably the best part about yesterday was getting in my 4 mile run/walk.  I can't call it a 4 mile run yet.  ...this is the longest time I've sustained this activity longer than a week or two.  I think this started for me back in September.  I must say I'm fascinated with the process of becoming a runner. 

January 2, 2011
The weather should be nice enough for me to jog at the park.  Time to get back into a work out routine.   I woke up feeling like I need to lose weight and feeling heavy.  So-- time to do something about it.  I was on a good roll until I started working* about a month ago.

*For most of 2010 I had been laid off but was able to work contractually from home.

March 6, 2011
The last few weeks I've increased my distance for my walk/run.  Maybe I should just call it running.  I'm up to 5 miles and about half of it is running.

May 1, 2011
I reached a milestone with my running.  I jogged 1.2 miles without stopping.  I am accepting that to reach my goal of running a 5K at the end of June I am going to have to exercise (i.e...run) a few days a week when most days I am not going to want to do that.

May 11, 2011
After work (yesterday) I went to the park to get in my exercise.  I had much trepidation because it was about 90 degrees outside.  The hour before I kept going back and forth about going.  I can barely imagine myself running.  In the heat?  OMG!  But the realization that I had was that I will always come up with an excuse not to exercise on a particular day.  So I went.  I completed 3 miles and incorporated more walking and was glad I had my water bottle in hand.

May 17, 2011
I went jogging before work with good 'ole Brandi.  She is extra when I'm trying to jog.  I mostly jogged from here (home) to Home Depot and back (~2 miles).  It has been unseasonably cool so it felt great outside.

May 28, 2011
I've been consistently running 2 miles.  This morning I want to take it a little further.  *Maybe 2.5 miles?  We'll see. 

*I ended up running 3 miles.  When I was in the second mile, I said to myself, I think you can do another mile.  And I did.

May 31, 2011
How did Monday get here so fast?  My weekend was fabulous.  I mean it.  I ran 3 miles twice!  The first time was much easier than the second.  Yesterday, it was just too hot.  I realized that if I am going to run outside at all I will need to be finished by 9 a.m.  Yesterday, I started at 9 a.m.  I feel quite accomplished.  Yesterday, I willed myself through each mile because I was sooo uncomfortable.  Between each mile I got a sip of water.  Soon, I'll be running five miles.  I can see it quite clearly now.  But no pressure.

June 16, 2011
I ditched Brandi today.  Like I said, she can be Xtra.  Xtra is not what I need when I'm trying to run.  So I left her at home and went to Mountain Park around 6:30 a.m.  There was this older gentleman running in an opposite direction from me.  The first time we jogged past each other, he looked up and gave me a big smile.  When we passed each other during my second mile, he looked up with surprise and said Hey!  I just smiled back at him.  At the start of the third mile we passed each other again and he said...Well...Alright!!!   This time I laughed.  When I was close to completing the fourth mile he started clapping as I approached and said...Great job!  I said, almost done!   He nodded with approval, clapped some more and said again, Great job!  I completed 4 miles, another milestone, and it took me about an hour.  

If I can do it, you can too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment