10.08.2011

Sunday Get Away

Last Sunday I headed to Rome, Georgia for a reprieve and to visit Moriah.  Moriah is a sophomore in college.  When I was in my twenties, I lived with her family for about a year.  Moriah has two older sibblings and one younger sibbling.  I've known all of them since their birth.  When I was twentysomething, it never occured to me that one day I'd be visiting these same babies at college. 

I got in my car and headed north of Atlanta.  It was a beautiful and outstanding day.  I recently purchased a Garmin GPS unit because I was sick and tired of getting lost when I ventured into unknown territories. I put in the address of my location and merrily and trustingly went on my way.


Garmin told me to get off at exit 285 (I-75 North).  I went down some long and winding roads.  It was quite scenic.  Was Garmin leading me in the right direction?   Why didn't the exit sign say Rome? 

Once I saw cotton fields I knew I was going in the wrong direction.  I called Moriah.  She said, Oh Lord, Miss Karen!  I don't know where you are but we always take exit 290.   So I got back onto I-75 heading north.  I didn't need to buy a GPS unit to get lost. 

I made it to my destination.  Moriah jumped into the car and we went to get some food.  When I asked Moriah about restaurants she said, Now Miss Karen, I know you like to do the local thing but there aren't any good local restaurants in Rome.  So we ate at Chilli's and it was good.  We then headed to downtown Rome.  I wanted to check out The Old Town Clock. 

I hoped that we would be able to walk up to the top and view the city below but the doors were padlocked.

The Old Town Clock is on the National Register of Historic Places.

We hung around and took pictures.  Moriah...
 
 Me, AKA Miss Karen...

 The Fall leaves...

We left the clock, drove around and stopped here and there.  I took too many pictures to share.  Sometimes, when I paused to take another picture, Moriah said, OhLordMissKaren!  Moriah had my mouth watering about a downtown local bakery which we discovered was closed on Sundays.  From there we went to Jandy's for frozen yogurt.  That place was fun and delicious.  We also visited Berry College located on 26,000 acres - where there were many bicycles and few cars and the shiny black cattle looked relaxed and happy. 

We made it back to Moriah's campus and hung out for awhile.  I met her friends, roomate and suitemates.  She lovingly introduced me as her godmother.  I consider godchildren to be those that God has placed in your life that you are to watch over, support, pray for, mentor, guide, love and assist as they grow and develop.  I'm fortunate to be considered in that way.  We talked about everything, something and nothing.  It was a perfect day. 


4 comments:

  1. Wow! I just wanted to say that I love this post and I found it very inspiring. I felt like I was with you on your trip to visit your goddaughter! I will definitely keep up with your blog! -Amazed Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amazed Reader! So glad you found your way to my blog. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy many Fall getaways! Be well - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. i found it incredibly touching that you keep in touch with the family and take such an interest in the children. how sweet! your descriptions were so vivid, i could almost picture myself walking around with the two of you on that clear fall day. keep up the good work karen! - amy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy :)
    Thanks for dropping by and reading. It was truly a wonderful day and I am blessed. I hope you are enjoying these wonderful days of Fall. Karen

    ReplyDelete