1.22.2012

Raisin Bread French Toast


The weekend forecast was dismal.  In spite of it, I went out on Friday night to Jazz at the High Museum.  I had a really good time.  And when you've had a great time on a Friday night the best thing to follow up is a delicious breakfast the next morning.  On my way home, I stopped by the 24 hr. Kroger and picked up a few items to make french toast the next day.  I've made french toast with all kinds of bread including regular white or wheat bread.  I've also made it with challah bread.  I wondered what it would taste like if I made it with raisin bread.  I selected the cheapest raisin bread that I could find in the store with the lowest amount of calories and fat.  I found the Kroger brand which was $2.39.  The comparable name brand was about $3.99.
 
 

The weather, as predicted by the weather folks continued to be rainy and gloomy.  It was perfect for staying inside the house and fixing one of my favorite breakfast meals.   That would be followed by leisurely walking around in my pjs, drinking coffee and doing a little this and that.

Nothing but clouds in the sky...


I've been making french toast since I was a kid living at home with my parents.  I don't remember ever seeing a recipe.  I just remember always making it.  It's kind of like my father going into the kitchen and making some bread pudding or rice pudding.  One time I asked him how he made it and did he use a recipe and he said just put in some eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and raisins.  Oh...ok.  For me, I'm going to need a recipe for that one although it is very similar to making french toast.   

This particular morning, I used two eggs and 1% milk which is what I keep in the house.  I usually add vanilla to the egg mixture and cinnamon.  On this day, I left out the vanilla flavoring because I figured that it wasn't needed since I was using the raisin bread.  Later that day, I discovered another cooking show, The Pioneer Woman, and Ree makes her french toast with egg yolks and half n half


I prefer fruit and yogurt on top of my french toast instead of syrup.  My favorite combination is apples, bananas and strawberries.  I prefer vanilla yogurt although this time I used a tablespoon or two of honey flavored greek yogurt. 





No comments:

Post a Comment