8.11.2011

Murphy's Review

Murphy's is located in the Virginia Highland community in Atlanta.  I've been a patron for at least ten years or longer.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner - the food is consistently good.  The neighborhood is very quaint and comprised of old bungalow homes and a lot of boutique shops.  One of the bungalows used to be an independent bookstore.   I would stay in there for hours with its creaky door which summoned the owner - a very sweet, creaky-lookin' man.  Of course, it's closed now and I always think about it when I visit this part of town. 

I met my friend Karen on a Saturday morning at 9 a.m. and we both were able to park right in front of the restaurant.  It is in an intown location that is very popular, so coming later in the day means parallel parking and some walking. 

Just outside of Murphy's is a marquee with a map of the community. 


Murphy's is  rustic, cozy and warm.   I love the amber hues and exposed brick throughout the restaurant.  The rustic feel from the inside extends to the outside seating area where we sat.  Not all restaurants do this successfully as their outside seating is more of an afterthought. 

  

We both selected the Portobello Frittata.  For the first time, in a long time, I actually made my decision quickly.  I've had very few frittatas in my life.  It was wonderful.  The portobello mushrooms, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and  basil pesto were a great combination.  The frittata was served alone.  I ordered a side of cheddar grits.  This was before I knew that they bring out a basket with warmed delectables from the bakery.  In the spirit of a little restraint, I tried a piece of a scone that was in the basket and it was divine.  I glanced at the other items in the basket.  I quickly covered it up, pushed it aside and looked away. 

The cheddar grits were delicious. They were very cheesy and creamy. I think I've ordered cheddar grits  a lot lately. I'll keep that in mind next time around.

Karen ordered the same frittata but with egg whites.  She enjoyed her meal.  She showed a lot of restraint and did not order a side item or rummage through the bakery basket. 

Murphy's brunch is very good and I would recommend it.  The coffee was also good and hot.  However, I really like their dinner menu.  I remember ordering pan seared trout when I was there years ago and it was amazing. 

In this day and time, websites are very important.   Murphy's website is classy, user-friendly and a good representation of their business.  I've been to good restaurants with bad websites.  It makes me wonder about the owner and their business acumen.

Murphy's  is located in a historic community that offers good food and  shopping.  It would be a cool place to hang out for a couple of hours.  The first hour you would spend eating and the next hour you can check out the shops in the neighborhood.  After that, I'm not sure if there is much more to do. 








No comments:

Post a Comment