7.21.2011

Cursive no more?

I saw this really great article published in the Los Angeles Times about the benefits of good handwriting.  The article mostly looks at handwriting in terms of a child’s brain development, academic success and building confidence.  All of this is good and true enough.  However, there are other things to consider.


In my garage are cards, letters, invitations, postcards and other handwritten mementos that I’ve collected over the years.  They have been stuffed in small gift bags that have been stuffed in cardboard boxes.  You wouldn't think that these items were that precious to me based on my storage methods.  Yet, they are and at least the gift bags were once very pretty and dainty.   

Those most meaningful are from my mother.   My mother has a tendency to express things in a card that she wouldn’t necessarily do or say.    I would open one of her cards and think..I didn’t know you felt that way about me.   Everything from my mother is in cursive.  I don’t know that I’ve ever seen my mother print anything.   Mom’s handwriting is good and legible.  It's also a bit dramatic and a little uneven.  She sends a card for all the holidays.  There's a card for Valentine’s Day, whether I have one or not, and one for Mother’s Day, without being a mother.   Her note and signature is unique and special.  It didn't exist before her and it will end with her.  Never to be seen again. 
I thought of all of the handwritten items that I’ve received over the years.   Most of these are in cursive.   They mark different periods of my life - the good, the bad and everything else.  Fortunately, I had friends and family around through it all.  Cards were sent with friendly hellos, empathy, celebration and encouragement.   Their handwritten notes and signatures were a witness to that particular point in my journey.  If you can't be with someone in person or talk with them on the phone, a handwritten note is the next best thing.  I doubt that I will ever feel that way about an instant message (IM), email or even an e-card. 
I'm not saying that if children don't learn cursive that I won't receive anymore handwritten cards or notes.  I am saying that this is just another example of how we continue to move away from meaningful things that take time, thought and a little effort.  In particular, and of most concern, is how we personally relate to one another.  Human beings becoming less humane.  You see this in our everyday interactions - at the grocery store, in our cars, at work and at home.  I'm not even going to get into airport behavior.  All I know is that all of this can't be good.  My father would agree...nawwwww gurrrlll...that ain't good!

 
Hu ∙ mane (Merriam-Webster)
: marked by compassion, sympathy, or consideration for humans or animals
Synonyms: beneficent, benevolent, compassionate, good-hearted, kind, kindhearted, kindly, softhearted, sympathetic, tender, tenderhearted, warmhearted


Cursive handwriting is personal, distinct and unique.  This is another defining characteristic or outward expression of who we are individually.   Learning it and using it takes time, just like anything of value.  Cursive no more?   I think this is something that we seriously need to reconsider. 


Although not in cursive, I had to include this one.  

2 comments:

  1. Nice Blog cuz. The is OC, I think "handwritng" in school is going the way of the typewriter and rotary phone. I strong agree that handwriting is the building blocks of outward expression and individuality. But how often are we writing long letters and papers?

    I think we need to start a new measurement for development of individuality. Maybe Karen should come up with as alternative.
    Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuz, thanks for reading! It's always nice to get a comment. Now O.C., you know that Karen doesn't need anything else added to her bucket list!

    ReplyDelete