2.19.2011

Breakfast Tacos

One morning before work, I opened up the refrigerator in search of something quick and tasty to eat. I felt a little flustered. What to eat? I started to close the door and just go to one of the many fast food restaurants, strategically and evilly placed, along my route to work. I wouldn’t even need to get out of the car. Yet, it is never that easy. It is usually a nightmare getting into the parking lot, going through the drive thru and back onto the major thoroughfare. And when it is all over, after I’ve gobbled it down in the car or at my desk I often wonder…why did I eat that? I’m not even going to go into my concerns about the processing of fast food and food handling practices in spite of the restaurant scores.

However, if you have any abilities in the kitchen, you know that you can create something healthier and tastier than what you’ll find in any fast food restaurant. The key is to linger a little longer at the fridge, take a deep breath and allow yourself time to come up with something. Of course, it helps if you keep your pantry and refrigerator stocked with a variety of items. Of course, this means that you have to spend some time at least once a week creating a grocery list and shopping. I find grocery shopping to be cumbersome and annoying, however, it is much better to be annoyed once a week instead of repeatedly throughout the week.

On this particular day, as I lingered at the fridge, my eyes came across the smoked salmon (pastrami style). I remembered that earlier in the week I had bought a bag of spinach, corn tortillas and egg whites. Breakfast tacos! Along with a small cup of orange juice, I had come up with a cheap, tasty, filling and healthy meal. Later that morning, I enjoyed a cup of coffee at my desk and patted myself on the back.

Breakfast Tacos
2 Corn Tortillas
Smoked salmon (palm full)
Egg whites (enough to cover the pan)
Spinach (handful)
Olive oil, margarine or cooking spray

Add enough oil to lightly coat a non-stick cooking pan. Heat the pan to medium heat as you would when making an omelet. Add the spinach and salmon and stir. Once the spinach is wilted, add the egg whites. When the egg whites have firmed up, stir the ingredients in the pan until done. I usually like to warm up my tortillas by either heating them in a pan or in the microwave. Divide the mixture in half and place it in the center of your two tacos.

***Additional seasonings were not included because the pastrami style smoked salmon has enough flavoring for the entire recipe.

*** I tried this with a little salsa on top and didn’t like it. It was one too many ingredients. I had gone too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment