1.30.2011


Lighten up Paula Dean -
Spinach & Bacon Quiche
I am a fan of cooking shows. I watch them the way my seventy-something parents watch the news and judge shows….Judge Joe Brown, Judge Judy, Judge Mathis, Divorce Court and Judge Alex. These are the ones that readily come to mind. They have their shows and I have mine. I don’t watch any particular cooking show or chef, I follow recipes.

Sometimes I talk at the chef and give my approval or skepticism about their approach. I’m always challenged to cook with ingredients I’ve not considered before such as fennel or broccoli rabe. Through ingredients and food, I also learn about people and culture.

I love to experiment with recipes. I often substitute ingredients for taste or to reduce calories and fat. One recipe that I’ve cooked a few times is Paula Deen’s Spinach and Bacon Quiche. I’ve never followed her original recipe. I have a hard time believing that one quiche needs a pound of bacon and a cup of heavy cream. There is no doubt in my mind that it is…as they say…truly deee---Lish! However, with a few simple changes, I know that I can come up with something comparable that is very tasty and satisfying. At the end of the day, I want my arteries and thighs to be happy.

Spinach and Bacon Quiche

Ingredients
6 large eggs, beaten
1 cup of milk (1-2%)
1/2 tsp pepper
1 10 oz package of frozen spinach (thawed, squeeze out excess water)
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup of shredded Swiss cheese
1 pie crust (deep dish from the frozen section)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine the eggs, milk, and pepper using a whisk or blender. Layer the spinach, bacon and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust. Pour the egg mixture on top. Bake at least 40 minutes. The egg should be set.

Cooking tips: Bacon can be cooked on the stove, in the microwave or in the oven. I prefer the oven because the grease is more contained and the bacon can be easily checked without disturbing. The original recipe calls for salt but the bacon and cheese provide enough sodium for this recipe.

For Paula Deen’s original recipe, visit http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/spinach-and-bacon-quiche-recipe/index.html

2 comments:

  1. I just made Paula's version replacing only the full cream with 1/2 and 1/2. I will definitely try making it with your modifications next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome...and I'm assuming that it was delicious? Half n Half has half the fat as heavy cream. You are moving in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete