4.10.2010


Egg Scramble (Spinach & Smoked Salmon)
1 cup of spinach
1/4 cup smoked salmon
1/8 cup of mozzarella cheese
1 tsp of dried onion
2 eggs
Splash of milk
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter/margarine

Add the olive oil to a skillet (nonstick) and bring to medium –high heat. Add the spinach and smoked salmon to the pan and cook until spinach is wilted.

In a bowl, beat eggs with milk. Add dried onion to the egg mixture. Using salt and pepper, season the egg mixture to your liking. In this recipe, I only add course ground pepper because of the saltiness and flavor of the smoked salmon.

Add butter in the pan with the spinach and salmon. Once it has melted, add egg mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. At this point, it looks just like an omelette. Once the edge of the “omelette” begins to form, take your spatula and push the sides of the egg to the center of the pan. Flip over to be sure that the egg scramble is done.

Fried Plantain

On this particular day, I realized that I had a very dark, almost completely black plantain on my counter. Plantains are always a nice side dish – morning, noon or night. Peel the plantain and slice the plantain crosswise so that each piece is about ½ inch thick. In a pan, heat the cooking oil hot enough for frying. I use just enough oil to cover the pan. Add the plantains to the hot oil. Plantains cook very fast so once you get them in you probably need to start flipping them over. Remove the plantains and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Plantains may be salted after frying or sprinkled with cinnamon/and or sugar. When plantains are very ripe, I usually don't add any additional seasonings.

I started making scrambles out of my impatience in trying to make the perfect omelette. If you have ever tried to make an omelette before, you know the challenges - having enough egg mixture to cover your pan, the inside not being done to the right consistency, the ratio of egg to ingredients and of course…the flip! I also can’t stand the feeling of uncooked egg in my mouth so on top of everything else, for me, a digestible omelette is a cooked omelette. I might as well push the egg and ingredients around in the pan until they are done.

I don’t remember the exact date I gave up on the perfect omelette, but I do remember the feeling of knowing that I was more interested in the ingredients and how they came together, and not just the overall appearance. Instead of the plain-ness of uniformity, there were vibrant colors and flavors in unexpected places creating beauty and character - accomplishing the same goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment